Reasons for Studying the Bible:
#1. What was the Bible written for?
In learning why we should study the Bible, we must inevitably answer the question: "What is the purpose of the Word of God?"
- Hebrews 4:11-12 Let us therefore give diligence to enter into that rest, that no man fall after the same example of disobedience. (12) For the word of God is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and quick to discern the thoughts and intents of the heart.
- 1Corinthians 10:6-12 Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted. (7) Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play. (8) Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand. (9) Neither let us make trial of the Lord, as some of them made trial, and perished by the serpents. (10) Neither murmur ye, as some of them murmured, and perished by the destroyer. (11) Now these things happened unto them by way of example; and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages are come. (12) Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.
- Galatians 3:21-24 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could make alive, verily righteousness would have been of the law. (22) But the scriptures shut up all things under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. (23) But before faith came, we were kept in ward under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. (24) So that the law is become our tutor to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
# 2 Why must I study God's Word?
- 2Timothy 3:14-17 But abide thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them. (15) And that from a babe thou hast known the sacred writings which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. (16) Every scripture inspired of God is also profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for instruction which is in righteousness. (17) That the man of God may be complete, furnished completely unto every good work.
- John 6:63 It is the spirit that giveth life; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I have spoken unto you are spirit, are are life.
- John 14:1-6 Let not your heart be troubled: believe in God, believe also in me. (2) In my Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. (3) And if I go and prepare a place for you, I come again, and will receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. (4) And whither I go, ye know the way. (5) Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; how know we the way? (6) Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life: no one cometh unto the Father, but by me.
It should not matter our background, what people have told us to believe, we must find Jesus for ourselves! The only way to find Jesus is through His Word, with much study and much prayer.
- 2Timothy 2:15 Give diligence to present thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, handling aright the word of truth.
- 2 Peter 1:20-21 knowing this first, that no prophecy of scripture is of private interpretation. (21) For no prophecy ever came by the will of man: but men spake from God, being moved by the Holy Spirit.
Thanks for reading and God bless you as you begin your own personal search for Jesus in His Word!
Yours for Christ,