Tuesday, November 27, 2012

When to give the gift of giving?

Good Morning World!

I've decided something.  It is a revelation that has been coming, I'm sure I've seen it, but my eyes were opened this week.  Not because of anything in particular, but there is was - knowledge and wisdom waiting to be seen and used.  What was this great revelation?  What was this epiphany that changed my way of thinking?

Here goes:

All my life I believed in the value of giving and the necessity of giving, but haven't ever been in a place financially or otherwise where I could give like I want to, or even as I know I should.  I have tried to give much money from my own pocket and my businesses, but before the cheques could go through something would always come up to hinder my faith based giving.  My intentions were there, but my reality swept my intentions under the rug.

The revelation I received is this: You have to give anyway!  I don't mean go out and give until you can't by groceries or pay your bills.  I mean go out and buy a cam-bro of coffee from Tim Horton's or Starbucks and take it to those who need it or will really appreciate it.  A friend of mine did that for thanksgiving.  He took 50 cups of coffee to the homeless and had a blast!  This isn't terribly expensive, but it is the kind of giving that really matters.  Find someone who will not be able to afford Christmas dinner, and give that to them.  Find someone who will not be getting gifts for Christmas and make sure they are taken care of.  There are so many ways that are inexpensive, for most of us, to help those in need.  My problem that has slightly stressed me out over the years, is that I want to help but have never felt like I could afford to help.  I have a big family and it takes a fair chunk of change to keep us going, so it always seems like at the end of the day all the money I get is gone, but I want to change that mind set.  I want to just give anyway!

So, one of my first 'acts of kindness' will be to do what I mentioned above.  However, we don't really have any homeless so I am going to take some coffee to the minor hockey game.  I'll find out when there is a hockey game on a weekend and buy an cam-bro of coffee set it up and give it to the cold people at the stadium.  Sure they could buy their own, but that isn't the point.  The point is give anyway!  If I here of someone who has a need this Christmas then I'll see to that then, but for now I will give anyway!

As Jesus said, "Give and it shall be given...!"

Yours for Christ,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Something to Laugh About!

Pastor Fred Online: Sermons & Puppets

Our Prayer Family: A List of Prayer Requests

  • Newfoundland & Labrador! That a wave of God's Spirit would flood this great province!
  • Your Neighbors, that Jesus would save their souls!
  • Springdale, Newfoundland: Pray that God's Spirit would awaken souls to their need of salvation and continued spiritual growth. Also, pray that Pastor Fred can teach many Home Bible Studies.
  • Pastor Fred and his family: Pray for Health, Strength, Inspiration, Revival and that God will lead him to many hungry souls
  • The Country You Live in: Pray for Salvation, Revival, Missionaries and the Moving of God's Spirit

Weekly Prayer for A Country on my counter:

Please pray with me for the country that is in focus each week. Thank You and may God richly bless your prayer life.


--------------------------------------------------


A Prayer for Canada:



This week Lord Jesus we bring the country of Canada. Let the revival of your Word and Name sweep across this vast dominion. Let all ethnic groups that now call this great land home become hungry for something more, and find YOU! Let the Church arise to become the bastion of Truth that it is meant to be. Let you people become the light and power that spreads your Gospel throughout all this land!
We ask this all in the Name of Jesus Christ -- Amen!